Sunday, January 28, 2007

Amazing Love

Yes, what a clique title. Amazing love, what does that really mean? Well, today in church we were singing "The Wonderful Cross" - Michael W. Smith version. I actually like the hymn version better, but this song touched me so powerfully today. Now I'm not a strong proponent of emotionally driven worship, but as I was singing the lyrics, I started thinking about them. Here are the first two verses:
"When i survey the wondrous cross
On which the prince of
glory died
My richest gain i count but loss
And pour
contempt on all my pride

See from his head his hands
his feet
Sorrow and love for me poured down
Did
e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so
rich a crown"

Think about it - the King of the Universe, the Prince of Peace, the Son of God, the One who sits at the right hand of God Himself, giving Himself as a sacrifice for us. We who are despicable sinners...who spit in His face and gave ourselves to our lusts and sinful desires. He bled for us. For us! This is something that we speak about all the time, but it hit me so hard today, just the utter realization of the magnitude of Christ's gift to us. I felt so unworthy, I just wanted to kneel down before Him. I felt that I shouldn't even be standing before Him.

Now this was in part an emotional response, but I think something we should consider more often in our daily lives is the price God paid for us to be able to live unchained to sin. It humbled me, and I know that was a good thing. Instead of thinking of ourselves and the works we do every day, think of what Christ did for us on that wonderful cross. Think about it seriously, and any pride you have will be swept away. Of course, our flesh is still active, so our pride will return. But if we keep a constant attitude of worship and thanksgiving, God will bless. At least, I know He blessed me today.

2 comments:

Dream said...

I love that hymn. And a very passionate and honest post.

Dream said...

Update much?